Grow your own cannabis! It’s not as expensive as most people think to start a little medi or personal grow and you really don’t need that much space with this method. Save money and stop funding organised crime.
All the equipment you need for this can be bought on-line and it is advisable that you search around for the best price possible. This guide is intended as advice for people wishing to remove themselves from the black market and away from anti social behaviour – ie buying from street dealers, funding organised crime, putting yourself in potentially vulnerable situations. Planting a seed and growing your own cannabis whether it be for relaxation and well being, fun, spiritual use or as your medicine is one of the best, easiest and most effective pieces and acts of activism there is. Civil disobedience that gives back! Before making any decision please read our Cannabis Law page.
Rule Number 1 – Tell No One!
- First get your space ready and find a 60cm x 60cm x 120cm grow tent, this will cost you around £40.
- Next you need a Dual Spectrum CFL grow light – not the separate red spectrum and blue spectrum but one that as both red and blue in a single bulb and get one around 200w up to 300w. This will cost around £35 including a basic shield but you can always upgrade if you want or can afford to but only basic is really necessary. (If you are less concerned about electricity costs you can opt for a 250 watt Metal Halide dual spectrum bulb which will increase your yeild but increase the heat a little also so bear that in mind).
- A clip on fan is needed to keep the air moving in the grow environment, this will cost around £8.
- The plant will need something to grow in so an 11 litre pot and some soil around £5’s worth.
- You will need a 24 hour mains timer around £3 and possibly an extension lead/multi adaptor – £2.
- Additionally we would advise (and it is good safer practice to) use an extractor fan with a carbon filter to eliminate any problems with smell. You will not need this from the start but a 4 inch fan and carbon filter will cost you £40.
Using this basic set up and not making things complicated; if this is your first time growing it is a good idea to start with an automatic cannabis strain. They have come a long way over the years and some nice yields along with the right quality flowers you are looking for can be achieved.
Using this equipment set up yields of 3 ounces and possibly more depending on your skill level and genetics can be achieved off a single seed that will knock you back around £5! You can grow these with minimum fuss either on a timer for 18 hours (which will save you some electricity) or left on 24 hours.
1 x 250 watt CFL Dual Spectrum on for 18 hours per day costs £0.38 pence per day.
1 x 6 inch clip on fan on for 24 hours per day cost £0.03 pence per day.
1 x 4 inch extractor fan on for 24 hours per day costs £0.19 pence per day.
(average electric rates used – Dec 2013)
Weekly Cost = £4.20
Over a 10 week period = £42.00!
If you had been thinking about it but weren’t quite convinced yet – are you now?
Just in case, lets consider if you smoke a gram a day in the same time this takes to grow you will have smoked 70g. If you buy your cannabis in ounces that will have cost you around £500 and if you buy it by the gram that will be a whopping £700! If you were to yield 3 ounces (84g) growing your own under a CFL you will have saved yourself £658 and hit the gangs where it hurts most! Imagine if everyone started doing this…
This process will take around 9/10 week from start to finish, but you will have a nice stash at the end of it, knowing what it is that you are smoking and not lining any dealer or black-market criminals pockets! This will only cost you around £100 to start off and a couple of pound extra a month in electric ,but will save you in long run, grow yours at home and ditch that dealer. Remember there’s no need to be Pablo Escobar – grow your OWN, be safe and sensible! And as said at the top, before making any decision please read our Cannabis Law page.
Guide by Sheffield Cannabis Club